The quantity of data that is currently produced in everyday life and practically in every sector, is...
Researcher Time Determined
General Pathology MED/04
I obtained a PhD in immunology in 2007 (French Institute of Health and Medical Research (INSERM-Unit 564, University of Angers, France). Since January 2016, I am Assistant Professor at the Humanitas University, Milan, Italy. My research activity is focused on the cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in innate immunity and inflammation and their role in cancer. My expertise and leadership in the fields of neutrophil biology, immunology, immunopathology and cancer can be underlined by primary research articles and review articles published in prime journals (e.g. Cell, Nature, Immunity, J Exp Med, Nat Rev Immunol, Blood).
Scientific and Research Interests
Innate immunity, inflammation, neutrophils, antitumor immune response.
In particular, the focus is the identification of the role of neutrophils in cancer and the investigation of the cross-talk between neutrophils and other leukocytes in the tumor microenvironment. our group is also interested in studying the role of neutrophils in antitumor therapy efficacy (chemotherapy and immune checkpoint blockade) and in the clinical significance of tumor-associated neutrophils in patients. recently, we identified a tripartite interaction involving neutrophils, macrophages and a subset of unconventional T cells essential for mounting an effective antitumor immune response (Ponzetta et al. cell, 2019)
Most relevant publications
- Neutrophils driving unconventional T cells mediate resistance against murine sarcomas and selected human tumors. Ponzetta A, Carriero R, Carnevale S, Barbagallo M, Molgora M, Perucchini C, Magrini E, Gianni F, Kunderfranco P, Polentarutti N, Pasqualini F, Di Marco S, Supino D, Peano C, Cananzi F, Colombo P, Pilotti S, Alomar SY, Bonavita E, Galdiero MR, Garlanda C, Mantovani A, Jaillon S. Cell. 2019. IF= 31.3
- Innate immunity, inflammation and tumour progression: double-edged swords. Mantovani A, Ponzetta A, Inforzato A, Jaillon S. J Intern Med. 2019 May;285(5):524-532. IF= 6.7
- IL-1R8 is a checkpoint in NK cells regulating anti-tumor and anti-viral activity. Molgora M, Bonavita E, Ponzetta A, Riva F, Barbagallo M, Jaillon S, Popović B, Bernardini G, Magrini E, Gianni F, Zelenay S, Jonjić S, Santoni S, Garlanda C, Mantovani A. Nature. 2017. Nov 2;551(7678):110-114. IF= 41.5
- Sexual dimorphism in innate immunity. Jaillon S*, Berthenet K, Garlanda C*. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2017 Sep 30 doi: 10.1007/s12016-017-8648-x. * Corresponding authors. IF= 6.4
- Occurrence and significance of tumor-associated neutrophils in patients with colorectal cancer. Galdiero MR, Bianchi P, Grizzi F, Di Caro G, Basso G, Ponzetta A, Bonavita E, Barbagallo M, Tartari S, Polentarutti N, Malesci A, Marone G, Roncalli M, Laghi L, Garlanda C, Mantovani A*, Jaillon S*. Int J Cancer. 2016 Jul 15;139(2):446-56. * Corresponding authors. IF= 7.3
- Fluid phase recognition molecules in neutrophil-dependent immune responses. Jaillon S*, Ponzetta A, Magrini E, Barajon I, Barbagallo M, Garlanda C, Mantovani A*. Semin Immunol. 2016 Apr;28(2):109-18. * Corresponding authors. IF= 7.2
- PTX3 is an extrinsic oncosuppressor regulating complement-dependent inflammation in cancer. Bonavita E, Gentile S, Rubino M, Maina V, Papait R, Kunderfranco P, Greco C, Feruglio F, Molgora M, Laface I, Tartari S, Doni A, Pasqualini F, Barbati E, Basso G, Galdiero M.R, Nebuloni M, Roncalli M, Colombo, P., Laghi, L., Lambris J.D, Jaillon S, Garlanda C, Mantovani A. Cell. 2015. Feb; 160(4):700-14. IF= 31.3
- The humoral pattern recognition molecule PTX3 is a key component of innate immunity against urinary tract infection. Jaillon S*, Moalli F, Ragnarsdottir B, Bonavita E, Riva F, Barbati E, Nebuloni M, Krajinovic LC, Markotic A, Valentino S, Doni A, Tartari S, Graziani G, Montanelli A, Delneste Y, Svanborg C, Garlanda C, Mantovani A*. Immunity. 2014 Apr; 40(4):621-32. * Corresponding authors. IF= 19.7
- Neutrophils in innate and adaptive immunity. Jaillon S, Galdiero MR, Del Prete D, Cassatella MA, Garlanda C, Mantovani A. Semin Immunopathol. 2013 Jul;35(4):377-94. IF= 6.4
- Prototypic long pentraxin PTX3 is present in breast milk, spreads in tissues, and protects neonate mice from pseudomonas aeruginosa lung infection. Jaillon S, Mancuso G, Hamon Y, Beauvillain C, cotici V, Midiri A, Bottazzi B, Nebuloni M, Garlanda C, Fremaux I, Gauchat JF, Descamps P, Beninati C, Mantovani A, Jeannin P, Delneste Y. J Immunol. 2013 Aug 15;191(4):1873-82. IF= 4.5
2019, Principal investigator/Unit coordinator. Grant “Progetti di Rilevante Interesse Nazionale” (PRIN). Ministry of Education, Universities and Research.
2019, Principal investigator/Unit coordinator. ”Grant Ricerca Finalizzata, Giovani Ricercatori”. Italian Ministry of Health.
2018, Principal investigator/Head of project. ”Grant Ricerca Finalizzata, Giovani Ricercatori”. Italian Ministry of Health.
2017, Principal investigator/Head of project. My First Airc Grant.