Access to the International Degree Course in Medicine and Surgery in English at Humanitas University for the...
Humanitas University Rector
President of the Italian Society of Surgery
Education and Academic Background
- Born in Milano (Italy) on January 14th, 1954.
- Graduated at University of Milan – School of Medicine in 1978.
- Post-Graduate School Degree in General Surgery (University of Milan) in 1983.
- Post-Graduate School Degree in Thoracic Surgery (University of Turin) in 1987.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery at University of Milan (1980-1988).
- Associate Professor of Surgery at University of Milan (1988-2001).
- Full Professor of Surgery at University of Milan – School of Medicine (11/2001-06/2014).
- Director of Post-Graduate School of Digestive Surgery at University of Milan (2006-2011).
- Director of General Surgery Department at Istituto Clinico Humanitas (12/2011-10/2015).
- Full Professor of Surgery and Rector of Humanitas University since July 2014.
Scientific and Research Interests
Scientific area of interest: digestive diseases and surgical treatment of related pathologies, mainly HPB and colorectal. Particular interest in staging and treatment of HCC through laparoscopic approach both with surgical and ablation techniques.
Great experience in laparoscopic colorectal surgery, as the beginning of this activity has been in early ’90s. Presently the vast majority of colorectal tumors diagnosed in Surgery Department is submitted to laparoscopic resection, thus allowing a smooth and safer postoperative course. Trans-anal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM) with dedicated instruments is also offered to selected patients with low-sited rectal tumors so sparing major abdominal approach.
Scientific interest also in surgery of the abdominal wall both open and laparoscopic.
- Efficacy of an absorbable fibrin sealant patch (TachoSil) after distal pancreatectomy: a multicenter, randomized, controlled trial.
Montorsi M, Zerbi A, Bassi C, Capussotti L, Coppola R, Sacchi M; Italian Tachosil Study Group.
Annals of Surgery. 2012/11/1; 256(5):853-9; discussion 859-60.
- Survival and recurrences after hepatic resection or radiofrequency for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhotic patients: a multivariate analysis.
Marco Montorsi, Roberto Santambrogio, Paolo Bianchi, Matteo Donadon, Eliana Moroni, Antonino Spinelli, Mara Costa.
Journal of gastrointestinal surgery. 2005/1/1; 9(1):62-68.
- Efficacy of octreotide in the prevention of pancreatic fistula after elective pancreatic resections: a prospective, controlled, randomized clinical trial.
Marco Montorsi, Mauro Zago, Franco Mosca, Lorenzo Capussotti, Enzo Zotti, Giorgio Ribotta, Gianfranco Fegiz, Susanna Fissi, Giancarlo Roviaro, Alberto Peracchia, Marcella Pivi, Renata Perego, Giuseppe Pezzuoli.
- Original technique for small colorectal tumor localization during laparoscopic surgery.
Marco Montorsi, Enrico Opocher, Roberto Santambrogio, Paolo Bianchi, Camilla Faranda, Paolo Arcidiacono, Giovanni Rubis Passoni, Felice Cosentino.
Diseases of the colon & rectum. 1999/6/1; 42(6):819-822.
Academic honors, awards and prizes
Affiliated to following scientific societies:
- European Surgical Association (ASA)
- International Hepatopancreatobiliary Association (IHPBA)
- International Society for Digestive Surgery
- European Association of Endoscopic Surgery
- Association Chirurgie Hepatobiliare Et Transplantation
Referee to following scientific reviews:
- Digestive Surgery
- Digestive and Liver Diseases
- Annals of Surgery