Cigarette smoking is the first risk factor for lung cancer and one of the leading causes of...
Education and Academic Background
After earning a degree in Medicine and a postgraduate degree in Endocrinology, Prof. Lania received his PhD degree in Endocrinological and Metabolic Sciences at the University of Milan. From 2005 to 2015 he was Assistant Professor of Endocrinology at the BIOMETRA Department at the University of Milan. Since 2015, he is Associate professor of Endocrinology at Department of Medical Sciences, Humanitas University. Actually, Prof. Lania is the Director of the Endocrine Unit and the Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Endocrinology at IRCCS Istituto Clinico Humanitas. He coordinates the Pituitary Unit as well as the Neuroendocrine multidisciplinary tumor board certified as center of excellence by the European NeuroEndocrine Tumors Society (ENETS).
Scientific and Research Interests
Prof. Lania research is mainly focused on the pathogenesis of endocrine tumors (mainly pituitary and neuroendocrine tumors) and the mechanisms involved in determining the sensitivity of these tumors to medical treatment. In particular, he contributed to clarify the impact of the cAMP pathway in the tumorigenesis processes at the pituitary level and to study the intracellular mechanisms elicited by somatostatin receptors in determining their antiproliferative and antisecretory effects. Recently, he has been involved in studies evaluating the possible role of cytoskeleton proteins (i.e. Filamin A) in determining the resistance to medical treatment in pituitary tumors by affecting dopamine receptor membrane targeting and intracellular signaling. In addition, he is focusing on the impact of cytoskeleton manipulation on Neuroendocrine tumorigenesis.
- Vitali, E., Cambiaghi, V., Zerbi, A., Carnaghi, C., Colombo, P., Peverelli, E., Spada, A., Mantovani, G., Lania, A.G. – Filamin-a is required to mediate SST2 effects in pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours (2016) Endocrine-Related Cancer, 23 (3), pp. 181-190
- Peverelli, E., Mantovani, G., Vitali, E., Elli, F.M., Olgiati, L., Ferrero, S., Laws, E.R., Della Mina, P., Villa, A., Beck-Peccoz, P., Spada, A., Lania, A.G. – Filamin-A is essential for dopamine D2 receptor expression and signaling in tumorous lactotrophs (2012) Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 97 (3), pp. 967-977
- Lania, A.G., Ferrero, S., Pivonello, R., Mantovani, G., Peverelli, E., Di Sarno, A., Beck-Peccoz, P., Spada, A., Colao, A. – Evolution of an aggressive prolactinoma into a growth hormone secreting pituitary tumor coincident with GNAS gene mutation (2010) Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 95 (1), pp. 13-17
- Ferrante, E., Pellegrini, C., Bondioni, S., Peverelli, E., Locatelli, M., Gelmini, P., Luciani, P., Peri, A., Mantovani, G., Bosari, S., Beck-Peccoz, P., Spada, A., Lania, A. –Octreotide promotes apoptosis in human somatotroph tumor cells by activating somatostatin receptor type 2 (2006) Endocrine-Related Cancer, 13 (3), pp. 955-962
- Lania, A.G., Mantovani, G., Ferrero, S., Pellegrini, C., Bondioni, S., Peverelli, E., Braidotti, P., Locatelli, M., Zavanone, M.L., Ferrante, E., Bosari, S., Beck-Peccoz, P., Spada, A. – Proliferation of transformed somatotroph cells related to low or absent expression of protein kinase A regulatory subunit 1A protein (2004) Cancer Research, 64 (24), pp. 9193-9198