The quantity of data that is currently produced in everyday life and practically in every sector, is...
Associate Professor Gastroenterology – MED/12
Professor of Gastroenterology, Humanitas University,
Member of the Quality Presidium
Vice President of the English Course in Medicine and Surgery, coordination of teaching activities for the III and IV years, Humanitas University
Head of the Centre for the Study and Treatment of Metabolic Liver Diseases and Complications of Cirrhosis, Humanitas Research Hospital
Education and Academic Background
Prof. Aghemo received his medical degree from the University of Milan in 2001, where he also specialized in gastroenterology and later completed his post-doctoral research in gastroenterology. He served as the director of the hepatology outpatients clinic at the Gastroenterology and Hepatology Unit at the Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, University of Milan, until 2017. In 2017 he was appointed Associate Professor of Gastroenterology at the Humanitas University.
From 2013 to 2016 he has served as a member of the governing board for the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL). He is currently involved in the United European Gastroenterology Scientific Committee as the official EASL-appointed member and serves as the Chair of the Italian Association for the Study of the Liver Commission on direct-acting antivirals for hepatitis C.
Scientific and Research Interests
Prof Aghemo has published more than 150 peer-reviewed papers with a total Impact Factor >1000. His main research interests have been viral hepatitis and cirrhosis. He has been a member of the panel that has developed the European Guidelines for the treatment of chronic Hepatitis C in 2014,2015,2016,2017 and 2018.
- Aghemo A, Prati GM, Rumi MG, Soffredini R, D’Ambrosio R, Orsi E, De Nicola S, Degasperi E, Grancini V, Colombo M. A sustained virological response prevents development of insulin resistance in chronic hepatitis C patients. Hepatology. 2012 56(5):1681-7
- Aghemo A, Colombo M. Hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic hepatitis C: from bench to bedside. Semin Immunopathol. 2013 Jan;35(1):111-20
- Aghemo A, De Francesco R New horizons in Hepatitis C antiviral therapy with direct-acting antivirals. Hepatology. 2013;58(1):428-38.
- Aghemo A, Degasperi E, De Nicola S, Bono P, Orlandi A, D’Ambrosio R, Soffredini R, Perbellini R, Lunghi G, Colombo M. Quantification of Core Antigen Monitors Efficacy of Direct-Acting Antiviral Agents in Patients With Chronic Hcv Infection. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;14(9):1331-6
- Colombo M, Aghemo A, Liu H, Zhang J, Dvory-Sobol H, Hyland R, Yun C, Massetto B, Brainard DM, McHutchison JG, Bourlière M, Peck-Radosavljevic M, Manns M, Pol S. Treatment With Ledipasvir-Sofosbuvir for 12 or 24 Weeks in Kidney Transplant Recipients With Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Genotype 1 or 4 Infection: A Randomized Trial. Ann Intern Med 2017;166(2):109-117