The quantity of data that is currently produced in everyday life and practically in every sector, is...
Chief of Translational Orthopedics of Knee Functional and Biological Reconstruction Center, Humanitas Research Hospital, Milano
Education and Academic Background
She maturated her research and clinical experience at Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute, Bologna as a Director of Nano-Biotecnology Laboratory (2012-2017) and staff member of I Orthopedic Clinic leaded by Prof. Marcacci. She’s been Assistant Professor at University of Bologna in 2013-2017.
She got numerous teaching appointments in Bologna University and in University Master courses in Bologna University, Milano Bicocca University and Molise University.
Received the National Academic Qualification as Full Professor in the “06/F4 – ORTHOPAEDICS AND REHABILITATION MEDICINE” academic recruitment field.
Scientific and Research Interests
- Coordinator of numerous research projects and clinical trials regarding biotechnology applications in orthopedics, into the framework of Italian and European research.
- Author of over 140 scientific articles in peer-reviewed and over 48 chapters in textbooks in orthopedic surgery (H-index 58).
- Editor of 3 textbooks in Orthopedic Surgery.
- Faculty of more than 400 society meetings all over Europe, Asia and America.
- Associated Editor of BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders Journal and Advances in Orthopedics. Reviewer for more than 20 Orthopedic Journals.
- She acted as a Board member and Committee Chair of different Italian and International scientific societies (ESSKA, ICRS e SIGASCOT).
- Secretary General of International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS).
- Quarto, M. Mastrogiacomo, R. Cancedda, SM. Kutepov, V. Mukhachev, A. Lavroukov, E. Kon, M. Marcacci. – “Repair of large bone defects with the use of autologous bone marrow stromal cells”. New Eng. Journal of Medicine, N. 344 Vol. 5, 385-6, Feb 2001.
- Kon E, Chiari C, Marcacci M, Delcogliano M, Salter DM, Martin I, Ambrosio L, Fini M, Tschon M, Tognana E, Plasenzotti R, Nehrer S. – “Tissue Engineering for Total Meniscal Substitution: Animal Study in Sheep Model”. Tissue Eng Part A. 2008 Jun;14(6)
- Kon E, Gobbi, G. Filardo, M. Delcogliano, S. Zaffagnini, M. Marcacci. – “Arthroscopic Second Generation Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation compared with Microfracture for chondral lesions of the Knee. Prospective non randomized study at 5 years”. AM J SPORT Med 2009 Jan;37(1):33-41.
- Kon E, Mandelbaum B, Buda R, Filardo G, Delcogliano M, Timoncini A, Fornasari PM, Giannini S, Marcacci M. – “Platelet-Rich Plasma Intra-Articular Injection Versus Hyaluronic Acid Viscosupplementation as Treatments for Cartilage Pathology: From Early Degeneration to Osteoarthritis”. Arthroscopy. 2011 Nov;27(11):1490-501.
- Kon E, Vannini F, Buda R, Filardo G, Cavallo M, Ruffilli A, Nanni M, Di Martino A, Marcacci M, Giannini S. – “How to Treat Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Knee: Surgical Techniques and New Trends: AAOS Exhibit Selection”. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Jan 4;94(1):e11-8.
Academic honors, awards and prizes
- “Most cited publication 2011-2016 in Arthroscopy Journal” and “most downloaded publication 2011-2016 Arthroscopy Journal” for “Platelet-Rich Plasma Intra-articular Injection Versus Hyaluronic Acid Viscosupplementation as Treatments for Cartilage Pathology: from Early Degeneration to Osteoarthritis”, published in Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, 2011.
- “One of the most highly cited papers during 2014-2015 in Arthroscopy Journal” for “Scaffold-based repair for cartilage healing: A systematic review and technical note”, published in Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, 2013.
- Leading article Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy Journal June 2016 for “Early osteoarthritis of the knee.”
- Poster Award Cum Laude “Platelet-Rich Plasma Intra-articular Injection Versus Viscosupplementation for Treatments of Degenerative Knee Pathology: A randomized controlled trial”, ICRS World Congress, Chicago, USA, 2015.
- “Socio corrispondiente” Sociedad Chilena de Ortopedia y Traumatología, 2014.
- “One of the ten top-cited articles published in the Arthroscopy Journal 2011-2012” for “Platelet-Rich Plasma Intra-articular Injection Versus Hyaluronic Acid Viscosupplementation as Treatments for Cartilage Pathology: from Early Degeneration to Osteoarthritis”, published in Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, 2011.
- Leading article Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy Journal for “Mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of cartilage lesions: from preclinical findings to clinical application in orthopaedics”, 2013.
- Poster Award Cum Laude “Should we still talk about patellofemoral cartilage lesions? A comparative study”, ICRS World Congress, Izmir, Turchia, 2013.
- “Most cited pubblication 2009-2010 in American Journal of Sports Medicine” for “Arthroscopic second-generation autologous chondrocyte implantation compared with microfracture for chondral lesions of the knee: prospective nonrandomized study at 5 years” in American Journal of Sports Medicine 2009
- Best scientific paper, ORTOMED Meeting 2012.
- Scientific exhibit award of excellence AAOS 2011 Annual Meeting: “How to treat Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Knee: Surgical Techniques and new trends”.
- ESSKA/AOSSM European/North American Sports Medicine Traveling Fellowship, 2009.
- ICRS Travelling Fellowship, North America, 2004.