On 15th and 16th November, Prof. Alberto Mantovani attended the 10th edition of the world conference “Science...
Anaesthesia and Intensive Care
Head of the Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Department at Humanitas Research Hospital
President-elect of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine (ESICM) for 2020-2021
Chair Division of Scientific Affairs at ESICM
Director of the Master in Patient Blood Management at Humanitas University
Academic Background and Education
- Harvard Medical School Global Clinical Scholar Research Training Program
- FICM (Fellow of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine)
- FRCA (Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists)
- Doctoral degree (MD (res), University of London)
Scientific and Research Interests
- How haemodynamic goal directed therapy can reduce morbidity and mortality in high risk surgical patients
- Heart lung interactions in ventilated patients
- New cardiac output monitors in anaesthesia and intensive care medicine and how to validate and study accuracy and precision of these devices
- Non invasive ways to predict and monitor fluid responsiveness in critically ill patients
- The effect of fluids and drugs on critically ill and surgical patients
- How the venous return, arterial ventricular coupling and microcirculation are regulated and modified during different therapeutic interventions
- The epidemiology of perioperative outcomes and surgical complications, severe sepsis and septic shock
- Cost effectiveness in Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Periopearative Medicine
- Aya HD, Rhodes A, Chis Ster I, Fletcher N, Grounds RM, Cecconi M. – Hemodynamic Effect of Different Doses of Fluids for a Fluid Challenge: A Quasi-Randomized Controlled Study. Crit Care Med. 2017 Feb;45(2):e161-e168. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000002067. PubMed PMID: 27655325.
- Aya HD, Ster IC, Fletcher N, Grounds RM, Rhodes A, Cecconi M. – Pharmacodynamic Analysis of a Fluid Challenge. Crit Care Med. 2016 May;44(5):880-91. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000001517. PubMed PMID: 26683506.
- Cecconi M, Monge García MI, Gracia Romero M, Mellinghoff J, Caliandro F, Grounds RM, Rhodes A. – The use of pulse pressure variation and stroke volume variation in spontaneously breathing patients to assess dynamic arterial elastance and to predict arterial pressure response to fluid administration. Anesth Analg. 2015 Jan;120(1):76-8
- Cecconi M, Hofer C, Teboul JL, Pettila V, Wilkman E, Molnar Z, Della Rocca G, Aldecoa C, Artigas A, Jog S, Sander M, Spies C, Lefrant JY, De Backer D; FENICE Investigators and the ESICM Trial Group. – Fluid challenges in intensive care: the FENICE study : A global inception cohort study. Intensive Care Med. 2015 Sep;41(9):1529-37. doi: 10.1007/s00134-015-3850-x. Epub 2015 Jul 11. PubMed PMID: 26162676; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4550653.
- Cecconi M, De Backer D, Antonelli M, Beale R, Bakker J, Hofer C, Jaeschke R, Mebazaa A, Pinsky MR, Teboul JL, Vincent JL, Rhodes A. – Consensus on circulatory shock and hemodynamic monitoring. Task force of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. Intensive Care Med. 2014 Dec;40(12):1795-815. doi: 10.1007/s00134-014-3525-z. Epub 2014 Nov 13.
- Bronze Clinical Excellence Award NHS 2017
- Commendation Harvard Medical School GCSRT Program 2015
- Best Abstract European Society of Intensive Care Medicine 2014
- Finalist for the Intensive Care Society Gold Medal Award for young investigators 2006