The quantity of data that is currently produced in everyday life and practically in every sector, is...
Education and Academic Background
Dr Stefanos Bonovas graduated from the School of Medicine, University of Athens (1997), and completed a four-year medical residency in General Practice at Athens General Hospital (2002).
He earned his M.Sc. in Biostatistics (2002), and his Ph.D. in Medicine (2007), from the School of Medicine, University of Athens, Greece.
Since 2004, Dr Bonovas held positions at Hellenic Center for Disease Control and Prevention, before serving as Head, Department of Epidemiological Surveillance and Intervention, for three years (2008‒2011).
He also completed a research fellowship in Biostatistics at Department of Computer Science and Biomedical Informatics, University of Central Greece (2012), and a second research fellowship in Clinical Trials at Department of Biomedical Sciences for Health, State University of Milan (2015).
Dr Bonovas was a Visiting Scientist at Laboratory of Drug Regulatory Policies, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan (2013‒2015); Researcher at Humanitas Clinical and Research Center (2015‒2017); and Adjunct Professor at School of Specialization in Hygiene and Preventive Medicine, State University of Milan (2015‒2017), teaching epidemiology and research methodology.
Currently, Dr Stefanos Bonovas serves as Assistant Professor of Medical Statistics at Department of Biomedical Sciences, Humanitas University, Milan, Italy.
Scientific and Research Interests
His research focuses in the areas of clinical epidemiology, inflammatory bowel diseases, public health, infectious disease surveillance, pharmacoepidemiology, drug safety, and evidence synthesis (by means of systematic reviews and meta-analyses) to inform health care decisions.
- Bonovas S, Fiorino G, Allocca M, Lytras T, Nikolopoulos GK, Peyrin-Biroulet L, and Danese S. – Biologic therapies and risk of infection and malignancy in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2016; 14: 1385-1397.e10.
- Danese S, Fiorino G, Peyrin-Biroulet L, Lucenteforte E, Virgili G, Moja L, and Bonovas S. – Biological agents for moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Annals of Internal Medicine 2014; 160: 704-711.
- Bonovas S, Filioussi K, Flordellis CS, and Sitaras NM. – Statins and the risk of colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis of 18 studies involving more than 1.5 million patients. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2007; 25: 3462-3468.
- Bonovas S, Filioussi K, Tsavaris N, and Sitaras NM. – Statins and cancer risk: a literature-based meta-analysis and meta-regression analysis of 35 randomized controlled trials. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2006; 24: 4808-4817.
- Bonovas S, Filioussi K, Tsavaris N, and Sitaras NM. – Use of statins and breast cancer: a meta-analysis of seven randomized clinical trials and nine observational studies. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2005; 23: 8606-8612.