Humanitas University will participate in the Medlink Medical and Health Sciences Fair that will take place on...
Director of the Post-graduate School of Internal Medicine, Humanitas University
Director of Clinica Medica – Medicina 4, Humanitas Research Hospital
Dean of the School of Physiotherapy, Humanitas University
Head of the “Syncope and Orthostatic Intolerance Disorders Unit”, Humanitas Research Hospital
Visiting Professor at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN – USA)
Medical Doctor, magna cum laude, 1979, University of Milan, Milan Italy
- Cardiology, 1981, University of Milan Medical School
- Sport Medicine, 1984 University of Milan Medical School
- Basic Life Support Instructor, 1998
- Management of Public Health Service, 2001, I.Re.F
- Non-Tenure Professor, post-graduate course of Clinical Psychology, University of Milan (1991-2003).
- Associate Professor of Medicine University of Milan (2005) and Humanitas University (2016).
- Coordinator of the courses entitled “Patient Management” and “Emergency”, School of Medicine, Humanitas University
- Coordinator of the course entitled “Emergency”, School of Nursing, Humanitas University
- Coordinator of the course entitled “The Autonomic Nervous System as a Tool for Human Interaction with the Environment”, School of Physiotherapy, Humanitas University
Current main research interests:
[number of dissertations available (N=) for students and post-graduate Internal and Emergency Medicine doctors]
- Dynamics of pulmonary gas exchange and systemic oxygen delivery during exercise in patients affected by Postural Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) and Hypertension (N=1).
- Altered sympathetic response to gravitational stimulus after bed rest: mechanistic insights into orthostatic intolerance from MSNA (N=2).
- Gait, autonomic, hemodynamic and inflammatory changes following bilateral feet somatosensory mechanical stimulus in Parkinson’s disease (N=3).
- Effectiveness of NT-proBNP and ECG monitoring in stratifying the risk of patients with undetermined syncope in the Emergency Department (N=2).
- Non-medical factors involved in hospital admission in intermediate risk patients suffering from a syncope spell (N=1)
Furlan R, Guzzetti S, Crivellaro W, Dassi S, Tinelli M, Baselli G, Cerutti S, Lombardi F, Pagani M, Malliani A. Continuous 24-hour assessment of the neural regulation of systemic arterial pressure and RR variabilities in ambulant subjects. Circulation 1990;81:537-547.
Furlan R, Piazza S, Dell’Orto S, Barbic F, Bianchi A, Mainardi L, Cerutti S, Pagani M, Malliani A. Cardiac autonomic patterns preceding occasional vasovagal reactions in healthy humans. Circulation 1998;98:1756-1761.
Furlan R, Jacob G, Snell M, Robertson D, Porta A, Harris P, Mosqueda-Garcia R. Chronic orthostatic intolerance: a disorder with discordant cardiac and vascular sympathetic control. Circulation 1998;98:2154-2159.
Costantino G, Perego F, Dipaola F, Borella M, Galli A, Cantoni G, Dell’Orto S, Dassi S, Filardo N, Duca PG, Montano N, Furlan R. Short- and long-term prognosis of syncope, risk factors, and role of hospital admission: results from the STePS (Short-Term Prognosis of Syncope) study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008;51:276-283.
Costantino G, Sun BC, Barbic F, Bossi I, Casazza G, Dipaola F, McDermott D, Quinn J, Reed MJ, Sheldon RS, Solbiati M, Thiruganasambandamoorthy V, Beach D, Bodemer N, Brignole M, Casagranda I, Del RA, Duca P, Falavigna G, Grossman SA, Ippoliti R, Krahn AD, Montano N, Morillo CA, Olshansky B, Raj SR, Ruwald MH, Sarasin FP, Shen WK, Stiell I, Ungar A, Gert van DJ, van DN, Wieling W, Furlan R. Syncope clinical management in the emergency department: a consensus from the first international workshop on syncope risk stratification in the emergency department
Eur Heart J 2016;37:1493-1498.
Academic honors, awards and prizes:
- External Contributor to the EHRA (European Heart Rhythm Association of the European Society of Cardiology) Position Paper on “Syncope Unit. Rationale and requirements” Europace 2015;17:1325-1340)
- Member of the Scientific Board of the 2018 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of syncope
- Fondazione Italiana di Ricerca per la Sclerosi Laterale Amiotrofica (ARISLA), Co-Investigator: Cardiovascular neural regulation in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (CARDINALS), 2015
- Health Ministry Ricerca Finalizzata, (project code RF-2013-02355242), Principal Investigator: Anti-Cholinergic receptors antibodies, cardiovascular autonomic profile and dysautonomia symptoms relationships in Pure Autonomic Failure, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: evidence for a pathophysiology based therapeutic new strategy