The study has been recently published on Nature Communications and is co-authored by Prof. Raffaella Bonecchi. According to...
Senior Clinical and Research Physician at Humanitas Cancer Center – Humanitas Research Hospital
Education and Academic Background
I was born in Milan on October 31, 1979 and I got the high school diploma in classical studies at the Gymnasium Giosuè Carducci of Milan. I graduated at the Medical School of the University of Milan with a vote of 110/110 cum laude in 2004, discussing a thesis entitled “Concentration of circulating DNA and microsatellite alterations in tumor DNA: possible use as prognostic markers in renal cell carcinoma”. My post-graduate education continued with a Medical Oncology Residency degree, achieved in October 2008 with a vote of 70/70 cum laude.
From October 2002 to March 2005 I worked at the Azienda Ospedaliera San Gerardo di Monza, in the medical oncology and radiotherapy Division, as a medical student. From June 2005 to October 2008 I worked at the Istituto Clinico Humanitas, in the Department of Oncology and Hematology, now Humanitas Cancer Center, as clinical and research resident. From November 2008 to date I’m working at Humanitas Cancer Center, since November 2014 as Senior Clinical and Research Physician inside the Clinical Pharmacology Unit and Head of Neuro-oncology.
My academic and teaching career started in 2013 when I became Teaching Tutor for students of the International Medical School, University of Milan. Since 2015 I’ve been Teaching Tutor for students of the Humanitas University and since 2016 Lecturer at Nursing Degree School of Humanitas University.
Scientific and Research Interests
I have a long-standing interest in the field of clinical and translational cancer research and I have been involved in several (more than 50) clinical trials as principal or sub-investigator. Since 2009 I focused my activity in early-phase clinical development of anticancer new drugs (molecular targeted agents; immunotherapeutics agents) inside the clinical Pharmacology Unit, being responsible for the clinical management of the all the phase I studies conducted at the Humanitas Cancer Center.
Since 2014 I became Head of Neuroncology at the Humanitas Cancer Center, being part of the Multidisciplinary Neurongologic Team and conducting clinical trials with new immunotherapeutic agents. I’m principal investigator of several translational projects in the field of Neuroncology and Immuno-Neuroncology aimed to find prognostic or predictive biomarkers for the clinical management of patients with brain tumors.
My principle fields of research interest are:
- Development of anticancer new drugs
- Translational Oncology
Other fields of interest:
- Rare Thoracic Malignancies (Mesothelioma, Thymoma)
- Germ-cell tumors
- High-dose Chemotherapy, Autologous Transplantations
I’m author or co-author of about 40 articles in peer-reviewed journals and ad hoc-reviewer for several international scientific journals. I presented as presenting author (oral presentations) the results of many significant works at the most important International Oncology Meetings, as ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncology), ESMO (European Association of Medical Oncology), SNO (Society of Neuroncology).
- Ott PA, Piha-Paul SA, Munster P, Pishvaian MJ, van Brummelen EM, Cohen RB, Gomez-Roca C, Ejadi S, Stein M, Chan E, Simonelli M, Morosky A, Saraf S, Emancipator K, Koshiji M, Bennouna J. – Safety and antitumor activity of the anti-PD-1 antibody pembrolizumab in patients with recurrent carcinoma of the anal canal. Ann Oncol. 2017 May 1;28(5):1036-1041.
- Simonelli M, Zucali P, Santoro A, Thomas MB, De Braud FG, Borghaei H, Berlin J, Denlinger CS, Noberasco C, Rimassa L, Kim TY, English PA, Abbattista A, Gallo Stampino C, Carpentieri M, Williams JA. – Phase I study of PF-03446962, a fully human monoclonal antibody against activin receptor–like kinase 1 in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann Oncol. 2016 Sep;27(9):1782-7.
- Santoro A, Simonelli M, Rodriguez-Lope C, Zucali P, Camacho LH, Granito A, Senzer N, Rimassa L, Abbadessa G, Schwartz B, Lamar M, Savage RE, Bruix J. A – Phase-1b study of tivantinib (ARQ 197) in adult patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and cirrhosis. Br J Cancer. 2013 Jan 15;108(1):21-4.
- Simonelli M, Zucali PA, Lorenzi E, Rubino L, De Vincenzo F, De Sanctis R, Perrino M, Mancini L, Di Tommaso L, Rimassa L, Masci G, Zuradelli M, Suter MB, Bertossi M, Fattuzzo G, Giordano L, Roncalli MG, Santoro A. – Phase I pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of lapatinib in combination with sorafenib in patients with advanced refractory solid tumors. Eur J Cancer. 2013 Mar;49(5):989-98.
- Simonelli M, Rosti G, Banna GL, Pedrazzoli P; on behalf of the Italian Germ cell cancer Group (IGG) and Gruppo Italiano Trapianto Midollo Osseo, Cellule Staminali Emopoietiche e Terapia Cellulare (GITMO). – Intensified chemotherapy with stem-cell rescue in germ-cell tumors. Ann Oncol. 2012 Apr;23(4):815-22.