Humanitas University will participate in the Medlink Medical and Health Sciences Fair that will take place on...
Dean of the Degree Course in Medicine and Surgery, Dean of the Degree Course in Nursing,
Delegate of the Rector for Teaching, Delegate of the Rector for International Relations
Head of the Office for Medical Education
Education and Academic Background
- Born in Milan in 1963.
- In 1988, she graduated in Medicine and Surgery from the State University of Milan summa and was licensed to practice medicine.
- In 1989 she won a research grant from Fondazione Confalonieri and in 1990 a position as researcher of Human Anatomy at the State University of Milan.
- From 1990 to 1993 she spent long research periods at the Panum Institute of Copenaghen University studying spinal mechanisms involved in motor control.
- In 1996 she became associate professor of Human Anatomy at the State University of Milan.
- In 2014 she gained the same position at Humanitas University.
- Teaching activity: since 1989, she has been teaching in the degree course in Medicine and Surgery (Italian and English), in postgraduate Medical Specialty Schools, in the degree course in Biotechnology and other Bachelor’s degrees.
Scientific and Research Interests
Her scientific skills and competences are mainly related to the morphological area:
- light microscopy;
- electron microscopy;
- histological preparations;
- immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence;
- CNS tracers.
Other skills include handling of experimental animal, microsurgery on experimental animals for studies on the nervous system, neurophysiological techniques, cell cultures.
Current main research interests:
- Innate immune system with special reference to Toll-like-receptors, Interleukin receptors and pentraxins
- Development of the nervous system during maternal immune activation (MIA)
- Molgora M, Barajon I, Mantovani A, Garlanda C. Regulatory Role of IL-1R8 in Immunity and Disease. Front Immunol. 2016 Apr 20;7:149. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2016.00149. eCollection 2016. Review. PubMed PMID: 27148268; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4837151.
- Jaillon S, Ponzetta A, Magrini E, Barajon I, Barbagallo M, Garlanda C, Mantovani A. Fluid phase recognition molecules in neutrophil-dependent immune responses. Semin Immunol. 2016 Apr;28(2):109-18. doi: 10.1016/j.smim.2016.03.005. Epub 2016 Mar 25. Review. PubMed PMID: 27021644.
- Inforzato A, Doni A, Barajon I, Leone R, Garlanda C, Bottazzi B, Mantovani A. PTX3 as a paradigm for the interaction of pentraxins with the complement system. Semin Immunol. 2013 Feb;25(1):79-85. doi: 10.1016/j.smim.2013.05.002. Epub 2013 Jun 6. Review. PubMed PMID: 23747040.
- Galdiero MR, Bonavita E, Barajon I, Garlanda C, Mantovani A, Jaillon S. Tumor associated macrophages and neutrophils in cancer. Immunobiology. 2013 Nov;218(11):1402-10. doi: 10.1016/j.imbio.2013.06.003. Epub 2013 Jun 17. Review. PubMed PMID: 23891329.
- Barajon I, Serrao G, Arnaboldi F, Opizzi E, Ripamonti G, Balsari A, Rumio C. Toll-like receptors 3, 4, and 7 are expressed in the enteric nervous system and dorsal root ganglia. J Histochem Cytochem. 2009 Nov;57(11):1013-23. doi: 10.1369/jhc.2009.953539. Epub 2009 Jun 22. PubMed PMID: 19546475; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2762881.
- CARIPLO, “Role of the NFAT signalling pathway in determining inflammation during aging and neurodegeneration” (2015-2018)