Humanitas University will participate in the Medlink Medical and Health Sciences Fair that will take place on...
Enrico Marco Heffler
Allergist and Clinical Immunologist, Personalized Medicine, Asthma and Allergy at Humanitas Research Hospital
Education and Academic Background
- October 2003: Degree in Medicine and Surgery at University of Torino
- December 2008: Specialization in Allergy and Clinical Immunology at University of Torino
- February 2014: PhD in Experimental Medicine and Therapy (Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology) at University of Torino
- March 2015 – April 2017: Assistant Professor (Researcher) in Respiratory Diseases at University of Catania
- May 2017 – today: Assistant Professor (Researcher) in Respiratory Diseases at Humanitas University of Milan
Scientific and Research Interests
The main research topics I studied were the assessment of airway and systemic inflammation, disease control and pathogenic mechanisms of asthma (mainly severe asthma), chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps and anaphylaxis.
Other studied topics were the pathogenesis of eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Churg-Strauss syndrome), food allergies, and epidemiological aspects of respiratory allergic diseases.
Currently Author of about 90 scientific articles published in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Heffler E, Guida G, Marsico P, Bergia R, Bommarito L, Ferrero N, Nebiolo F, De Stefani A, Usai A, Bucca C, Rolla G. Exhaled nitric oxide as a diagnostic test for asthma in rhinitic patients with asthmatic symptoms. Respir Med. 2006;100(11):1981-7.
- Guida G, Rolla G, Badiu I, Marsico P, Pizzimenti S, Bommarito L, De Stefani A, Usai A, Bugiani M, Malinovschi A, Bucca C, Heffler E. Determinants of exhaled nitric oxide in chronic rhinosinusitis. Chest. 2010;137(3):658-64.
- Heffler E, Nebiolo F, Asero R, Guida G, Badiu I, Pizzimenti S, Marchese C, Amato S, Mistrello G, Canaletti F, Rolla G. Clinical manifestations, co-sensitizations, and immunoblotting profiles of buckwheat-allergic patients. Allergy. 2011;66(2):264-70.
- Heffler E, Crimi C, Campisi R, Sichili S, Nicolosi G, Porto M, Intravaia R, Sberna ME, Liuzzo MT, Crimi N. Bronchodilator response as a marker of poor asthma control.
- Heffler E, Crimi C, Brussino L, Nicola S, Sichili S, Dughera L, Rolla G, Crimi N. Exhaled breath condensate pH and cysteinyl leukotriens in patients with chronic cough secondary to acid gastroesophageal reflux. J Breath Res. 2016;11(1):016002
Academic honors, awards and prizes
- 2006-2007: European Respiratory Society (ERS) Long term Research Fellowship at Glenfield Hospital, Leicester (UK)
- 2006-2014: SIAAIC (Italian Society of Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology) Junior Members coordinator
- 2014-today: SIAAIC (Italian Society of Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology) Secretary General and member of the Executive Committee
- 2009-2011: European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) Junior Members representative person at the Asthma Section board
- 2011-2013: European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) Junior Members coordinator and members of the Executive Committee
- 2013-today: European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) Asthma Section Board member