The quantity of data that is currently produced in everyday life and practically in every sector, is...
Full Professor Physiology
Present academic appointment Full Professor Physiology (Bio/09)
Phone +39 02-82245422
1972 – Classic Lyceum Diploma (Milano, Italy)
13/03/1979 – Medical Doctor Degree (Milano University , Italy)
1979 – State Exam for practicing Medicine
16/11/1985 – PhD (postgraduate diploma) Medical Pharmacology (Milano University , Italy)
15/12/2013 – PhD (postgraduate diploma) Psychotherapy (SISPI Milano, Italy)
1985 – 2001: Teaching in Pharmacology, Physiology and Postgraduate courses as a CNR researcher
2001- 2006: Associate Professor Physiology (BIO/09) – Insubria University, Varese, Italy
2006 – 2018: Full Professor Physiology (BIO/09) – Insubria University, Varese, Italy
2018 – current: Full Professor Physiology (BIO/09) – Humanitas Medical School
System Diseases 1 (Pharmacology)
Clinical Neuroscience (Physiology)
Scientific and Research Interests
Main research interest has long been neurotransmitter secretion at the nerve terminal, and synaptic vesicle recycling in particular. Initial works involved combining electrophysiology and morphological techniques such as freeze-fracture and quick freezing.
Subsequently, my research focussed on the analysis of biological signals: development of an original procedure of noise analysis for the quantitative evaluation of synaptic recordings, analysis of signal processing at the first sensory synapse in the labyrinth.
More recently I have been involved in mathematical modeling of biological systems: actin polymerization, calcium distribution in the cell, signal processing at the neuronal synapse, receptor crosstalk, modelling molecular biology problems and the molecular mechanism of neurotransmitter membrane transporters
- Fesce R, Segal JR, Hurlbut WP. Fluctuation analysis of nonideal shot noise. Application to the neuromuscular junction. J Gen Physiol. 1986; 88(1):25-57.
- Fesce R. Stochastic approaches to the study of synaptic function. Prog Neurobiol. 1990; 35:85-133.
- Fesce R, Grohovaz F, Valtorta F, Meldolesi J. Neurotransmitter release: fusion or ‘kiss-and-run’? Trends Cell Biol. 1994; 4:1-4.
- Consalez GG, Cabibbo A, Corradi A, Alli C, Sardella M, Sitia R, Fesce R. A computer-driven approach to PCR-based differential screening, alternative to differential display. Bioinformatics. 1999; 15:93-105.
- Fesce R, Giovannardi S, Binda F, Bossi E, Peres A. The relation between charge movement and transport-associated currents in the rat GABA cotransporter rGAT1. J Physiol. 2002; 545:739-50.
- Rossi ML, Rubbini G, Martini M, Canella R, Fesce R. Forskolin and protein kinase inhibitors differentially affect hair cell potassium currents and transmitter release at the cytoneural junction in the isolated frog labyrinth. Neuroscience. 2017; 357:20-36.