“Für Elise” played by the pianist Elena Fischerova was the introductory song of the first Hunimed Student...
Full Professor n.t.
Chief of the Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology Center at Humanitas Research Hospital (Milan)
Director of the Electrophysiology II Unit at Humanitas Gavazzeni (Bergamo)
Education and Academic Background
Dr. Riccardo Cappato is currently Director of the Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology Research Center at IRCCS Humanitas Research Center in Rozzano (Milan), Italy, and Director of the Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology II Center at Humanitas Gavazzeni Clinics, Bergamo, Italy. He is the current President of the European Cardiac Arrhythmia Society (ECAS). He has also been the Co-Director of the Europe AF Congress, held in London on an annual basis, during the 10 editions since 2007.
Dr. Cappato began his medical training at the University of Ferrara, completing it in 1989. He was a junior physician in the Department of Cardiology of the Arcispedale Santa Anna di Ferrara, Italy, where he also completed his internship and residency. Between 1993 and 2000, he was the Co-Director of the Electrophysiology Laboratory at Eppendorf University and St. Georg General Hospital, Hamburg, Germany. Between 2000 and 2015 he was the Director of the “Clinical Arrhythmia and EP Center” of Policlinico San Donato in Milan.
Scientific and Research Interests
His clinical interests are mainly focused on the following topics:
- Management of supraventricular and ventricular arrhythmias, and in their treatment with trans-catheter radiofrequency ablation
- New therapy forms for anti-bradycardia and anti-tachycardia pacing
- Use of novel oral anticoagulants to prevent thromboembolic events in patients with atrial fibrillation
Dr Cappato is the Principal Investigator for X-VERT and VENTURE-AF studies, two multi-center randomized studies enrolling overall 1,500 and 250 patients worldwide. Dr. Cappato is also the leading investigator of a patient-based worldwide atrial fibrillation ablation survey. He has published over 300 peer-reviewed journals and book chapters. He is reviewer or member of the editorial board of numerous Cardiology and Internal Medicine Journals.
He is the co-inventor of the sub-cutaneous implantable cardioverter defibrillator (S-ICD), a technology currently used for preventing sudden cardiac death in more than 25,000 patients worldwide.
- Cappato, H. Calkins, S.A. Chen, W. Davies, Y. Iesaka, J. Kalman, Y.H. Kim, G. Klein, D. Packer, A. Skanes. – “Worldwide Survey on the Methods, Efficacy, and Safety of Catheter ablation for Human Atrial Fibrillation”. Circulation. 2005; 111 (9): 1100 – 5.
- H. Bardy, W.M. Smith, M.A. Hood, I.G. Crozer, I.C. Melton, L. Jordaens, D. Theuns, R.E. Park, D.J. Wright, D.T. Connelly, S.P. Fynn, F.D Murgatroyd, J. Sperzel, J. Neuzner, S.G. Spitzer, A.V. Ardashev, A. Oduro, L. Boersma, A.H Maas, I.C. Van Gelder, A.A. Wilde, P.F Van Dessel, R.E. Knops, C.S. Barr, P. Lupo, R. Cappato, A.A. Grace. – “An Entirely Subcutaneous Implantable Cardioverter –Defibrillator”. The New England Journal of Medicine 2010;363(1):36-44.
- Cappato, S. Negroni, D. Pecora, S. Bentivegna, P. Lupo, A. Carolei, C. Esposito, F. Furlanello, L. De Ambroggi. – “Prospective Assessment of Late Conduction Recurrence Across Radiofrequency Lesions Producing Electrical Disconnection at the Pulmonary Vein Ostium in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation”. Circulation. 2003; 108 (13): 1599-604.
- Cappato, M.D. Ezekowitz, A.L. Klein, A.J. Camm, CS. Ma, JY Le Heuzey, M. Talajic, M. Scanavacca, P.E. Vardas, P. Kirchhof, M. Hemmrich, V. Lanius, IL. Meng, P. Wildgoose, M. van Eickels, S.H. Hohnloser on behalf of the X-VeRT Investigators. – “Rivaroxaban vs. Vitamin K antagonist for cardioversion in atrial fibrillation”. European Heart Journal 2014;35:3346-55.
- Cappato R, Marchlinski FE, Hohnloser SH, Naccarelli GV, Xiang J, Wilber DJ, Ma CS, Hess S, Wells DS, Juang G, Vijgen J, Hügl BJ, Balasubramaniam R, De Chillou C, Davies DW, Fields LE, Natale A; – Uninterrupted rivaroxaban vs. uninterrupted vitamin K antagonists for catheter ablation in non-valvular atrial fibrillation. VENTURE-AF Investigators. Eur Heart J. 2015 Jul 21;36(28):1805-11.
Academic honors, awards and prizes
- Premio Nazionale ANMCO, “G. Binda, Per la Ricerca Scientifica per il Lavoro; “Metodi per Valutare nell’Uomo gli Effetti Diretti e quelli Neuromediati dei Farmaci Antiaritmici”. 27 Aprile 1986.
- Premio Boehringer Ingelheim Italia, “ L’Attività di Ricerca Scientifica in Campo Cardiologico” 28 Aprile1993.
- Premio Nazionale L’altra Italia: Vite da Premio IX Edizione. -22 Settembre 2012.