At the Humanitas Centre for Knee Joint Reconstruction, the first personalized, 3D implantation of a total knee...
Director of the Centro per la ricostruzione funzionale e biologica del ginocchio at Humanitas Research Hospital
Education and Academic Background
- Marcacci graduated summa cum laude in Medicine and Surgery at the University of Pisa and obtained the qualification for the exercise of the medical profession in 1972.
- In 1978, he obtained the qualification for the exercise of the medical profession in the USA.
- From 1975 to 1985, he specialized in Physical Therapy, Sports Medicine, Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- He started teaching at the University of Bologna in 1986, became associate professor at the University of Bologna in 1999, full professor in 2001.
- Prof Marcacci has been Coordinator of the degree course in Orthopaedic Techniques since 2012, Director of the First Level Master in Biomechanics Diseases, Pathology and treatments of the upper limbs; Director of the School of Specialization in Orthopaedics and Traumatology (2013-2016); Temporary Scientific Director of the Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute (2015-2016).
Scientific and Research Interests
Marcacci holds 9 patents and is head of applied research projects dedicated to sports traumatology, regenerative medicine and innovative techniques for joints reconstruction, the study of new application for stem cells and Platelet-Rich Plasma, biomechanics of the lower limbs with special focus toward new prosthesis implants, and RSA radiography technology.
Marcacci is author of over 400 papers published on international magazines, 48 book chapters, 6 books.
- Total H Index according to Google Scholar is: 61
- Total references on Google Scholar: 14901
He has been at more than 400 scientific meeting, both national and international, as lecturer and moderator.
He is member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Sports Traumatology, Technique Knee Surgery, Sphere Medical Journal, Journal of Sport Traumatology, European Journal of Sports Traumatology.
- R. Quarto, M. Mastrogiacomo, R. Cancedda, SM. Kutepov, V. Mukhachev, A. Lavroukov, E. Kon, M. Marcacci. “Repair of large bone defects with the use of autologous bone marrow stromal cells”. New Eng. Journal of Medicine, N. 344 Vol. 5, 385-6, Feb 2001.
- E. Kon, A. Gobbi, G. Filardo, M. Delcogliano, S. Zaffagnini, M. Marcacci. “Arthroscopic Second Generation Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation compared with Microfracture for chondral lesions of the Knee. Prospective non randomized study at 5 years”. AM J SPORT Med 2009 Jan;37(1):33-41.
- Kon E, Mandelbaum B, Buda R, Filardo G, Delcogliano M, Timoncini A, Fornasari PM, Giannini S, Marcacci M. “Platelet-Rich Plasma Intra-Articular Injection Versus Hyaluronic Acid Viscosupplementation as Treatments for Cartilage Pathology: From Early Degeneration to Osteoarthritis”. Arthroscopy. 2011 Nov;27(11):1490-501.
- Kon E, Vannini F, Buda R, Filardo G, Cavallo M, Ruffilli A, Nanni M, Di Martino A, Marcacci M, Giannini S. “How to Treat Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Knee: Surgical Techniques and New Trends: AAOS Exhibit Selection”. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Jan 4;94(1):e11-8.
- Iacono F, Raspugli GF, Filardo G, Bruni D, Zaffagnini S, Bignozzi S, Lo Presti M, Akkawi I, Neri MP, Marcacci M. The adductor tubercle: an important landmark to determine the joint line level in revision total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016 Oct;24(10):3212-3217
Academic Honors, Awards and Prizes
- 2016 award for the “most cited publication 2011-2016” and “most downloaded publication 2011-2016”, for the paper: “Platelet-Rich Plasma Intra-articular Injection Versus Hyaluronic Acid Viscosupplementation as Treatments for Cartilage Pathology: from Early Degeneration to Osteoarthritis”, published by Arthroscopy The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery in 2011.
- 2016 award for “one of the most highly cited papers during 2014-2015”, for the paper: “Scaffold-based repair for cartilage healing: A systematic review and technical note”, published by Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, in 2013.
- Award Cum Laude for the publication of the digital poster ““Platelet-Rich Plasma Intra-articular Injection Versus Viscosupplementation for Treatments of Degenerative Knee Pathology: A randomized controlled trial”, showed at the ICRS World Congress, Chicago, USA, 2015.
- 2013 award for “ten top-cited articles published in the Arthroscopy Journal 2011-2012”, for the paper: “Platelet-Rich Plasma Intra-articular Injection Versus Hyaluronic Acid Viscosupplementation as Treatments for Cartilage Pathology: from Early Degeneration to Osteoarthritis”, published by Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, in 2011.
- Leading article Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy Journal: “Mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of cartilage lesions: from preclinical findings to clinical application in orthopaedics”, 2013.
- Award Cum Laude for the publication of the digital poster “Should we still talk about patellofemoral cartilage lesions? A comparative study”, showed at the 11° ICRS World Congress, Izmir, Turchia, 2013.
- Award for the “most cited pubblication 2009-2010” for the paper: “Arthroscopic second-generation autologous chondrocyte implantation compared with microfracture for chondral lesions of the knee: prospective nonrandomized study at 5 years” published by the American Journal of Sports Medicine in 2009
- Best medical presentation at ORTOMED Meeting 2012.
- Scientific exhibit award of excellence AAOS 2011 Annual Meeting: “How to treat Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Knee: Surgical Techniques and new trends”.