On February 1st, 2019 from 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., at the Campus of Humanitas University, an educational meeting...
Orthopaedic and Trauma Consultant in Hip Diseases and Joint Replacement Surgery Unit, Humanitas Research Hospital, Rozzano (Milan) Italy
Education and Academic Background
- March 2012-July 2015: Doctor of Philosophy program in Oncology Orthopaedics, Campus Bio-Medico University of Rome, Italy.
- May 2010-May 2015: Resident program in Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Vote: 50/50 cum laude, Campus Bio-Medico University of Rome, Italy.
- November 2011-August 2012: Clinical and research fellow at Centre of Sports and Exercise Medicine, Barts and the London, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom.
- July 2008-September 2008: Visiting research fellow at Orthopaedic Surgery Department Ferguson Laboratory for Spine Research, University of Pittsburgh, United States.
- September 2003-July 2009: Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Vote: 110/110 summa cum laude, Campus Bio-Medico University of Rome, Italy.
Scientific and Research Interests
Clinical research to improve the current techniques and to develop innovative techniques in replacement and arthroscopic surgery of the hip and knee joints; to improve the outcome of patients undergoing hip and knee replacement surgery; to develop innovative techniques to imporve the position of prosthetic components in hip and knee replacement; to develop protocols for rapid post-operative recovery (“fast track” in replacement surgery); to imporve the diagnostic-therapeutic approach for periprosthetic infections.
Clinical research to improve the current surgical techniques and to develop innovative surgical techniques and to improve the outcome of patients undergoing surgery for the management of tendinopathies, tendon rupture, ligament and muscular injuries; to develop score systems for sport injury prevention and rehabilitation protocols.
- Loppini M, Longo UG, Ragucci P, Trenti N, Balzarini L, Grappiolo G. – Analysis of the pelvic functional orientation in the sagittal plane: a radiographic study with eos 2D/3D technology. J Arthroplasty. 2017 Mar;32(3):1027-1032.
- Grappiolo G, Loppini M, Longo UG, Traverso F, Mazziotta G, Denaro V. – Trabecular Metal Augments for the Management of Paprosky Type III Defects Without Pelvic Discontinuity. J Arthroplasty. 2015 Jun;30(6):1024-9.
- Loppini M, Longo UG, Niccoli G, Berton A, Salvatore G, Khan WS, Maffulli N, Denaro V. – Histopathological scores for tissue-engineered, repaired and degenerated tendon. A systematic review of the literature. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2015;10(1):43-55.
- Maffulli N, Loppini M, Longo UG, Maffulli GD, Denaro V. – Minimally invasive reconstruction of chronic Achilles tendon ruptures using the ipsilateral free semitendinosus tendon graft and interference screw fixation. Am J Sports Med. 2013 may;41(5):1100-7.
- Longo UG, Loppini M, Berton A, Marinozzi A, Maffulli N, Denaro V. – The FIFA 11+ program is effective in preventing injuries in elite male basketball players: a cluster randomized controlled trial. Am J Sports Med. 2012 May;40(5):996-1005.
Academic honors, awards and prizes
- Recipient of the 2014 SIOT (Italian Society of Orthopaedic and Traumatology) Research Grant with the research project entitled “Role of preoperative pelvic tilt in determining the range of motion and the rate of dislocation after primary total hip replacement.”
- Recipient of the 2013 ISAKOS Achilles Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Research Award for the paper “Longo UG, Loppini M, Berton A, Marinozzi A, Maffulli N, Denaro V. The FIFA 11+ program is effective in preventing injuries in elite male basketball players: a cluster randomized controlled trial”. The Achilles Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Research Award was created to recognize the researchers(s) who have performed the most outstanding clinical or laboratory research in the field of sports medicine, such as the care and prevention of injuries.
- Recipient of the Certificate Of Excellence in Reviewing 2013 by Foot and Ankle Surgery journal in cooperation with the European Foot and Ankle Society.