Cigarette smoking is the first risk factor for lung cancer and one of the leading causes of...
Luigi Alessandro Solbiati
Imaging and Radiotherapy
Senior Consultant, Interventional Radiology – Humanitas Research Hospital
Professor Solbiati worked from 1980 to 2015 at the General Hospital of Busto Arsizio (Varese), rising from Assistant Radiologist to Chairman of the Department of Oncology and Head of the Division of Interventional Oncologic Radiology. He pioneered ultrasound-guided aspiration biopsies (1979), ethanol injection (1983), radiofrequency ablation with cool-tip electrodes (1995) and microwaves (2009) of solid tumors and fusion imaging for the guidance of interventional procedures (2003). In parallel, he has been serving as an adjunct Professor of “Techniques and Methods of Diagnostic Imaging” from 1988 to 2014 at the School of Radiology of the University of Milan.
Scientific and Research Interests
More than 480 scientific presentations at Meetings, Congresses and Courses in 23 countries. Guest Lecturer at the Universities of San Diego, Zurich, Beijing, Hong Kong, New Delhi, Cairo, Vienna, Yale and at the Mayo Clinic (Rochester). Chairman of the 1st World Conference on Interventional Oncology (Cernobbio, Italy) in 2006. Chairman of the 1st Interventional Oncology Sans Frontieres Congress (IOSFC) (Cernobbio, Italy) in 2013.
Major fields of interest
- Interventional procedures in oncologic diseases (particularly percutaneous image-guided thermal ablation)
- Imaging of the neck
- Contrast-enhanced sonography
- Image fusion
- Technology of microwaves for thermal ablation.
Treatment of Metastatic Lymph Nodes in the Neck from Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma with Percutaneous Laser Ablation. Mauri G, Cova L, Ierace T, Baroli A, Di Mauro E, Pacella CM, Goldberg SN, Solbiati L. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2016 Feb 24. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26911732
Thermal ablation of colorectal liver metastases: a position paper by an international panel of ablation experts, the Interventional Oncology Sans Frontières meeting 2013. Gillams A, Goldberg N, Ahmed M, Bale R, Breen D, Callstrom M, Chen MH, Choi BI, de Baere T, Dupuy D, Gangi A, Gervais D, Helmberger T, Jung, EM, Lee F, Lencioni R, Liang P, Livraghi T, Lu D, Meloni F, Pereira P, Piscaglia F, Rhim H, Salem R, Sofocleous C, Solomon SB, Soulen M, Tanaka M, Vogl T, Wood B, Solbiati L. Eur Radiol. 2015 Dec;25(12): 3438-54. doi: 10.1007/s00330-015-3779-z. Epub 2015 May 22. PMID: 25994193
- Real-time US-CT/MRI image fusion for guidance of thermal ablation of liver tumors undetectable with US:results in 295 cases. Mauri G, Cova L, De Beni S, Ierace T, Tondolo T, Cerri A, Goldberg SN, Solbiati L. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2015 Feb;38(1):143-51. doi: 10.1007/s00270-014-0897-y. Epub 2014 May 8. PMID: 24806953
- Intraprocedural contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) in liver percutaneous radiofrequency ablation: clinical impact and health technology assessment. Mauri G, Porazzi E, Cova L, Restelli U, Tondolo T, Bonfanti M, Cerri A, Ierace T, Croce D, Solbiati L. Insights Imaging. 2014 Apr;5(2):209-16. doi: 10.1007/s13244-014-0315-7. Epub 2014 Feb 22.
- Small liver colorectal metastases treated with percutaneous radiofrequency ablation: local response rate and long-term survival with up to 10-year follow-up. Solbiati L, Ahmed M, Cova L, Ierace T, Brioschi M, Goldberg SN. Radiology. 2012 Dec;265(3):958-68. doi: 10.1148/radiol.12111851. Epub 2012 Oct 22.