The quantity of data that is currently produced in everyday life and practically in every sector, is...
Associate Professor Associate Professor of Cardiology – MED/11
Interventional Cardiologist at Humanitas Research Hospital
Teaching appointments: System Disease I
Prof Stefanini was born in Rome, where he studied Medicine and finalized his training in Cardiology at Sapienza University. In 2010 he moved to Bern University Hospital for a clinical research fellowship supported by a grant of the European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions (EAPCI). In 2012 he was awarded a competitive 3-year research support under the Special Program University Medicine program (SPUM) of the Swiss National Science Foundation, supporting his position as researcher and interventional cardiologist at Bern University Hospital. In 2015, Prof Stefanini moved to Milan where he has a position as Associate Professor of Cardiology at Humanitas University and works as interventional cardiologist at Humanitas Research Hospital. He also serves as head of clinical research of the Cardio Center of Humanitas Research Hospital. He has a PhD in Experimental Medicine and a MSc in Health Economics, Outcomes and Management in Cardiovascular Sciences awarded by the London School of Economics (LSE).
Scientific and Research Interests
Prof Stefanini’s main research area is minimally-invasive treatment strategies for coronary artery disease, with a specific focus on devices for coronary revascularization. He has been involved in the conduct, data-analysis, and successful publication of several randomized trials, observational studies, and meta-analyses. He has authored several relevant articles in major medical journals including the New England Journal of Medicine and the Lancet. Prof Stefanini has completed a PhD in Experimental Medicine with a thesis on “Myocardial revascularization with drug-eluting coronary artery stents: the clinical impact of technological progress”. He is actively contributing to the European Society of Cardiology (ESC), has been a member of the Task Force for the 2014 and 2018 Guidelines on Myocardial Revascularization and of the Task Force on the evaluation of coronary artery stents of the ESC and EAPCI. His research is supported by competitive research grants obtained from the Italian Ministry of Health (Ricerca Finalizzata), Ministry of Education (PRIN), and the Italian Medicines Agency (AIFA Ricerca Indipendente).
- Chiarito C, …and Stefanini GG. Direct oral anticoagulants in addition to antiplatelet therapy for secondary prevention after acute coronary syndromes. JAMA Cardiol. 2018;3:234-241.Stefanini GG, Holmes DR Jr. Drug-Eluting Coronary Artery Stents. N Eng J Med 2013; 368:254-65.
- Stefanini GG, et al. Safety and efficacy of drug-eluting stents in women: a patient-level pooled analysis of randomised trials. Lancet 2013, 382:1879-88
- Stefanini GG, et al. Long-term clinical outcomes of biodegradable polymer biolimus-eluting stents versus durable polymer sirolimus-eluting stents in patients with coronary artery disease (LEADERS): 4 year follow-up of a randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet 2011; 378:1940-8.
- Siontis GC, Stefanini GG, et al. Percutaneous coronary interventional strategies for treatment of in-stent restenosis: a network meta-analysis. Lancet 2015; 386:655-64.
- Stefanini GG, et al. Coronary Artery Disease Severity and Aortic Stenosis: Clinical Outcomes According to SYNTAX-Score in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Eur Heart J 2014; 35:2530-40
Academic honors, awards and prizes
- Health Young Physician Leaders (YPL) programme of the Interacademy Partnership (IAP), Berlin, Germany – nominated by the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei
- Scholarship of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) for an Executive MSc in Health Economics, Outcomes and Management in Cardiovascular Sciences 2016-2018 at the London School of Economics, London, UK
- William Harvey Award, Italian Society of Cardiology (SIC) 2014
- Best Abstract Award, 2014 Joint Annual Meeting of the Swiss Society of Cardiology (SGK-SSC)
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC) since 2014
- Finalist of the Linnemeier Spirit of Interventional Cardiology Young Investigator Award 2012, Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics (TCT), Cardiovascular Research Foundation
- Research Grant 2011, European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions (EAPCI) of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC)
- GISE Prize 2010 for best scientific contribution, 31st Congress of the Italian Society of Interventional Cardiology (SICI-GISE)