At the Humanitas Centre for Knee Joint Reconstruction, the first personalized, 3D implantation of a total knee...
Head, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, and Director of Cardiovascular Research at Humanitas Research Hospital
Research Associate at the Institute of Genetics and Biomedical Research (IRGB), National Research Council of Italy.
Visiting Professor, Chair in Molecular Cardiology, University of Leicester, UK
• 1999-2002 Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia
• 1999-06 Associate Professor, University La Sapienza, Rome
• 2003- Associate Research Scientist, Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla CA
• 2006-09 Associate Professor, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA
• 2005-6 Scientific Director, Multimedica Research Hospital, Milan
• 2006-12 Head, Department of Medicine, National Research Council of Italy
• 2012-12 Acting Chair, Department of Biomedical Sciences, National Research Council of Italy
• 2008-12 Professor, University of Milan Bicocca
• 2009-13 Adjunct Professor of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA
• 2012-15 Professor, University of Milan “Statale”
• 2015- Head, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, and Director of Cardiovascular Research, Humanitas Research Hospital.
Scientific and Research Interests
“I have had a longstanding interest in the molecular mechanisms of cardiovascular diseases, in particular myocardial hypertrophy and failure and essential hypertension. A significant share of my research relates to the role of non-coding RNAs and epigenetics in regulating cardiovascular homeostasis and diseases. Other lines of research relate to monogenic cardiovascular diseases, in particular cardiomyopathies (genetics and iPSC models of diseases) and biomarkers of cardiovascular diseases in clinical pathophysiological conditions.”
Carè, A., Catalucci, D., Felicetti, F., Bonci, D., Ruiz-Lozano, P., Gallo, P., Segnalini, P., Bang, M.L., Dorn, G.W.2nd, Ellingsen, O., Croce, C.M., Peschle, C., and Condorelli G.(2007) – MicroRNA-133 controls cardiac myocyte hypertrophy. Nature Medicine, 13(5):613-8.
Elia, L., Contu, R., Quitavalle, M., Varrone, F., Chimenti, C., Russo, M.A., Cimino, V., De Marinis, L.,, Frustaci, A., Catalucci, D., Condorelli, G.(2009) – Reciprocal regulation of microRNA-1 and IGF-1 signal transduction cascade in cardiac and skeletal muscle in physiological and pathological conditions; Circulation, 120(23):2377-85.
Elia, L. Quintavalle, M., Zhang, J., Contu, R., Cossu, L., Latronico, M.V.G., Peterson, K.L., Indolfi, C., Catalucci, D., Chen, J., Courtneidge. S.A., and Condorelli, G., (2009) – The knockout of miR-143 and -145 alters smooth muscle cell maintenance and vascular homeostasis in mice: correlates with human disease. Cell Death and Diff. 16(12):1590-8
Zhang, D.H., Latronico, M.V.G., Zhang, J.L., Contu, R., Rizzi, R., Catalucci, D., Peterson, K.L., Brown, J.H., Chen, J, Sonenberg, N. and Condorelli G. (2010) – mTORC-1 regulates cardiac function and myocyte survival through 4E-BP-1 inhibition. The Journal of Clinical Investigation, 120(8):2805-16
Papait, R., Cattaneo, P., Kunderfranco, P., Greco, C., Carullo, P., Guffanti, A., Viganò, V., Stirparo, G.G., Latronico, M.V.G., Hasenfuss, G., Chen, J. and Condorelli, G., (2013) – Genome-wide analysis of histone marks identifying an epigenetic signature of promoters and enhancers underlying cardiac hypertrophy. PNAS USA, 110(50):20164-9
- P.I., National Institutes of Health, NHLBI, USA: Role of mTOR, a component of the AKT pathway, in regulating cardiac function (2011-15).
- P.I. European Research Council Advanced Grant: Epigenetics and microRNAs in Myocardial Function and Disease (2012-17).
- Supervisor, Marie Curie Outgoing Fellowship, recipient Paola Cattaneo, PhD (to UCSD).
- Supervisor, Marie Curie Incoming Fellowship, recipient Michelle Monansky, PhD (from U. Illinois).
- ERC Proof of Concept, PI.