“Für Elise” played by the pianist Elena Fischerova was the introductory song of the first Hunimed Student...
Education and Academic Background
Prof. Civilini’s research interests have focused on aortic repair including the new technology of catheter-based intervention as well as traditional surgical treatment, all geared toward maximizing safety and optimizing outcomes. He took his internship and residency in vascular surgery at San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan (Italy) and he fulfilled his training in minimally invasive aortic surgery at the Cleveland Clinic (OH). with clinical and research fellowships under the guidance of his mentor Prof. Roberto Chiesa. As chief of Thoracic Aortic Surgery at Cardiovascular Department of San Raffaele he managed his surgical experience in an internationally recognized team treating thoraco-abdominal aneurysms. He co-authored practice guidelines for the treatment of patients with cardiovascular diseases and has played a role in industry-sponsored clinical trials assessing the performance of new expandable stents used to treat thoracic aorta disease. He has been invited to present his clinical experience at international and national medical conferences and symposia.
Areas of expertise
Carotid artery surgery, abdominal, thoracic and thoraco-abdominal aortic repair, peripheral artery surgery and limb-salvage, aortic endovascular stent repair
Scientific and Research Interests
He has authored or co-authored several peer-reviewed articles and book chapters on his clinical experience and research. He serves as a reviewer for the Annals of Vascular Surgery and is member of the “European Society of Vascular Surgery” and the “Società Italiana di Chirurgia Vascolare ed Endovascolare”.
- G. Melissano, E. Civilini, L. Bertoglio Planning & Sizing Della Patologia Aortica Con Osirix Gessate: Progetto grafico e stampa: Arti Grafiche Colombo 2010
- R Chiesa, E Civilini, G Melissano, L Bertoglio, E Rinaldi (2014) Thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms In: The Oxford Textbook of Vascular Surgery Edited By: Prof M Thompson Published by: Oxford University Press
- R Chiesa, E Civilini, Y Tshomba, EM Marone, G Melissano Technical and clinical aspects of surgery for thoracoabdominal aneurysms In: The Oxford Textbook of Vascular Surgery Edited By: Prof M Thompson Published by: Oxford University Press
- G. Melissano, E. Civilini, E. Rinaldi, R. Chiesa (2014) Exposure and open surgical reconstruction in the chest: The thoracoabdominal aorta In: Operative Techniques in Surgery. Edited by M. Mulholland, D. Albo, M. Englesbe, M. Hawn, S. Hughes, M. Sabel, and R. Dalman
- Chiesa, Roberto; Melissano, Germano; Marrocco-Trischitta, Massimiliano M; Civilini, Efrem; Setacci, Francesco; ,Spinal cord ischemia after elective stent-graft repair of the thoracic aorta, Journal of vascular surgery,42,1,11-17,2005
- Melissano, G; Civilini, E; Bertoglio, L; Calliari, F; Setacci, F; Calori, G; Chiesa, R; Results of endografting of the aortic arch in different landing zones, European journal of vascular and endovascular surgery,33,5,561-566,2007
- Melissano, G; Civilini, E; Bertoglio, L; Setacci, F; Chiesa, R; ,Endovascular treatment of aortic arch aneurysms, European journal of vascular and endovascular surgery,29,2,131-138,2005
- Melissano, G; Bertoglio, L; Civelli, V; Amato, AC Moraes; Coppi, G; Civilini, E; Calori, G; De Cobelli, F; Del Maschio, A; Chiesa, R; Demonstration of the Adamkiewicz artery by multidetector computed tomography angiography analysed with the open-source software OsiriX, European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery,37,4,395-400,2009
- Melissano, Germano; Bertoglio, Luca; Rinaldi, Enrico; Civilini, Efrem; Tshomba, Yamume; Kahlberg, Andrea; Agricola, Eustachio; Chiesa, Roberto; Volume changes in aortic true and false lumen after the “PETTICOAT” procedure for type B aortic dissection,Journal of vascular surgery,55,3,641-651,2012
- Tshomba, Yamume; Melissano, Germano; Logaldo, Davide; Rinaldi, Enrico; Bertoglio, Luca; Civilini, Efrem; Psacharopulo, Daniele; Chiesa, Roberto; ,Clinical outcomes of hybrid repair for thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms,Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery,1,3,293,2012
- Chiesa, Roberto; Kahlberg, Andrea; Mascia, Daniele; Tshomba, Yamume; Civilini, Efrem; Melissano, Germano; Use of a novel hybrid vascular graft for sutureless revascularization of the renal arteries during open thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair, Journal of vascular surgery, 60,3,622-630,2014