The quantity of data that is currently produced in everyday life and practically in every sector, is...
Associate Professor Hematology MED/15
Associate Professor of Hematology, Humanitas University
Director, Postgraduate School of Hematology, Humanitas University
Section Chief, Lymphoid Malignancies and Cancer Therapeutics, Humanitas Clinical and Research Center – IRCCS
Teaching appointment, System Diseases 2 – Blood Diseases, Humanitas University Medical School
Phone +39 02 8224 4577
I received my education at the University of Pavia, where I obtained the M.D. degree cum Laude (1981) and the specialization in Internal Medicine (1986).
In 1993, I received the specialization in Hematology at the University of Parma.
From December 1999 to June 2011, I was a member of the active staff in Onco-Hematology at the Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori in Milano, where I also served (2005 to 2011) as Director of the Hematopoietic Stem Cell Manipulation Unit.
From 2006 to 2016, I served as Associate Professor of Medical Oncology at the University of Milano.
In 2011, I moved to the Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, where I currently am Section Chief of Lymphoid Malignancies and Cancer Therapeutics.
In January 2017, I was appointed as Associate Professor of Hematology at Humanitas University.
Scientific and Research Interests
My activity is focused explicitly on translational research aimed at: (i) early phase preclinical and clinical development of molecularly targeted agents or monoclonal antibodies (naked, drug-conjugated, bispecific) for the treatment of relapsed/refractory lymphoma; (ii) pharmacological targeting of tumor microenvironment in lymphoma; (iii) optimizing the clinical management of lymphoma patients using the liquid biopsy and circulating tumor DNA.
I am the principal investigator or co-investigator of phase 1 and 2 clinical trials aimed at the development of novel anti-cancer immunotherapy in relapsed/refractory Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
As of Oct 30, 2019, scientific publications include 245 peer-reviewed articles in journals covered by the JCR®. H-index (Google Scholar) is equal to 42.
- Reichel J., Chadburn A., Rubinstein P.G., Giulino-Roth L., Tam W., Liu Y., Gaiolla R., Eng K., Brody J., Inghirami G., Carlo-Stella C., Santoro A., Rahal D., Totonchy J., Elemento O., Cesarman E., Roshal M.: Flow sorting and exome sequencing reveal the oncogenome of primary Hodgkin and Reed-Sternberg cells. Blood 125:1061-1072, 2015
- Santoro A., Mazza R., Pulsoni A., Re A., Bonfichi M., Zilioli V.R., Salvi F., Merli F., Anastasia A., Luminari S., Annechini G., Gotti M., Peli A., Liberati A.M., Di Renzo N., Castagna L., Giordano L., Carlo-Stella C.: Bendamustine in combination with Gemcitabine and Vinorelbine is an effective regimen as induction chemotherapy before autologous stem-cell transplantation for relapsed or refractory Hodgkin lymphoma: final results of a multicenter phase II study. J Clin Oncol 34:3293-9, 2016
- Merryman R.W., Kim H.T., Zinzani P.L., Carlo-Stella C., Ansell S.M., Perales M.A., Avigdor A., Halwani A.S., Houot R., Marchand T., Dhedin N., Lescaut W., Thiebaut-Bertrand A., François S., Stamatoullas-Bastard A., Rohrlich P-S, Labussière Wallet H., Castagna L., Santoro A., Bachanova V., Bresler S.C., Srivastava A., Kim H., Pesek E., Chammas M., Reynolds C., Ho V.T., Antin J.H., Ritz J., Soiffer R.J., Armand P.: Safety and Efficacy of Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant after PD-1 Blockade in Relapsed/Refractory Lymphoma. Blood 129:1380-1388, 2017.
- Spina V., Bruscaggin A., Cuccaro A., Martini M., Di Trani M., Forestieri G., Manzoni M., Condoluci A., Arribas A., Terzi-Di-Bergamo L., Locatelli S.L., Cupelli E., Ceriani L., Moccia A.A., Stathis A., Nassi L., Deambrogi C., Diop F., Guidetti F., Cocomazzi A., Annunziata S., Rufini V., Giordano A., Neri A., Boldorini R., Gerber B., Bertoni F., Ghielmini M., Stüssi G., Santoro A., Cavalli F., Zucca E., Larocca L.M., Gaidano G., Hohaus S., Carlo-Stella C., Rossi D: Circulating tumor DNA reveals genetics, clonal evolution and residual disease in classical Hodgkin lymphoma. Blood 131:2413-2415, 2018
- Locatelli S.L., Careddu G., Serio S., Consonni F.M., Maeda A., Viswanadha S., Vakkalanka S., Castagna L., Santoro A., Allavena P., Sica A., Carlo-Stella C.: Targeting cancer cells and tumor microenvironment in preclinical and clinical models of Hodgkin lymphoma using the dual PI3Kδ/γ inhibitor RP6530. Clin Cancer Res. 25:1098-1112, 2019.