The quantity of data that is currently produced in everyday life and practically in every sector, is...
Oncological Surgery – Colon Rectal Unit Director
Fellow of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery (FASCRS) – American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS)
Honorary Member – Brazilian College of Digestive Surgeons (CBCD)
Honorary Fellow – Czech Society of Surgery (CSS)
Founder of MICORS.ORG, Minimally Invasive COloRectal Surgery
Education and Academic Background
Professor Spinelli is Director of Colon and Rectal Surgery Unit at Humanitas Research Hospital and Associate Professor of Surgery at Humanitas University.
He got his degree in Medicine at Università degli Studi di Milano in 2001.
He trained for two years (2003-2005) at the University of Berlin – Charitè, at the Dept of General, Visceral and Transplantation Surgery and gained his PhD on Enhanced Recovery Protocols in Colorectal Surgery in 2011.
Prof. Spinelli is regularly invited speaker to many prestigious International Meetings (as, among others UEGW, ECCO, European Colorectal Congress, ESCP) and has scientific collaborations with many prestigious institutions worldwide for colorectal Surgery, among others: University of Oxford, Karolinska Institutet of Stockholm, Mount Sinai of Toronto, St. Mark’s Hospital of London.
He is dedicated to the development of innovative techniques in minimally invasive colorectal surgery, included single-port surgery and robotic surgery, and is one of the pioneers of the modern transanal approach for rectal surgery.
Scientific and Research Interests
Prof Spinelli is author and co-author of more than 120 Pubmed indexed scientific publications on International Journals (total IF >350) and has Editorial Appointments in the most important international colorectal journals.
In particular, he is Associate Editor for Colorectal Disease (Official Journal of ESCP and ACPGBI), for Disease of the Colon and Rectum (Official Journal of ASCRS), JARC (Official Journal of JSCP). He is moreover Member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Crohns and Colitis (Official Journal of ECCO) and of Coloproctology (Official Journal of DGK).
He is regularly invited speaker to many international Meetings, with more than 220 lectures given.
In 2010 he took part in the Consensous Conference of OMS (WHO) in Zurich, during which the disability criteria of Crohn’s disease were identified. In 2013 he took part in the Commission which drew up the firs Guide Lines on Surgery for Ulcerative Colitis for the European Crohn’s and Colitis Organization, published in January, 2015.
Appointments in International Scientific Societies
Assistant Secretary of ESCP
Member of the Scientific Committee of ESCP
Member of the Guidelines Committee of ECCO
Fellow of ASCRS
Honorary Fellow of CSS
Member of IOIBD
Member of ISFGS
Member of ESSO
Honorary Member of CBCD
Executive Board member of SLC
Member of SIC
Member of SICO
- Di Caro G, Carvello M, Pesce S, Erreni M, Marchesi F, Todoric J, Sacchi M,Montorsi M, Allavena P, Spinelli A. Circulating Inflammatory Mediators asPotential Prognostic Markers of Human Colorectal Cancer. PLoS One. 2016 Feb9;11(2):e0148186. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0148186. eCollection 2016. PubMedPMID: 26859579; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4747470.
- De Nes LC, Montorsi M, Spinelli A. Double single-port procedure for transanalintersphincteric proctectomy and abdominal ileorectal anastomosis – a videovignette. Colorectal Dis. 2016 Feb;18(2):217-8. doi: 10.1111/codi.13214. PubMedPMID: 26559039.
- Yeung TM, Sacchi M, Mortensen NJ, Spinelli A. Assessment of the Quality ofPatient-Orientated Information on Surgery for Crohn’s Disease on the Internet.Dis Colon Rectum. 2015 Sep;58(9):857-61. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0000000000000424.PubMed PMID: 26252847.
- Kotze PG, Yamamoto T, Danese S, Suzuki Y, Teixeira FV, de Albuquerque IC,Saad-Hossne R, de Barcelos IF, da Silva RN, da Silva Kotze LM, Olandoski M,Sacchi M, Yamada A, Takeuchi K, Spinelli A. Direct retrospective comparison ofadalimumab and infliximab in preventing early postoperative endoscopic recurrenceafter ileocaecal resection for crohn’s disease: results from the MULTIPERdatabase. J Crohns Colitis. 2015 Jul;9(7):541-7. doi: 10.1093/ecco-jcc/jjv055.Epub 2015 Mar 28. PubMed PMID: 25820017.
- Spinelli A, Fiorino G, Bazzi P, Sacchi M, Bonifacio C, De Bastiani S, MalesciA, Balzarini L, Peyrin-Biroulet L, Montorsi M, Danese S. Preoperative magneticresonance enterography in predicting findings and optimizing surgical approach inCrohn’s disease. J Gastrointest Surg. 2014 Jan;18(1):83-90; discussion 90-1. doi:10.1007/s11605-013-2404-1. Epub 2013 Nov 20. PubMed PMID: 24254837