On 15th and 16th November, Prof. Alberto Mantovani attended the 10th edition of the world conference “Science...
Professor of Orthopaedics at Humanitas University
Head of the Shoulder and Elbow Surgery Unit at Humanitas Research Hospital
Education and Academic Background
- Medicine degree at La Sapienza University, Rome IT
- Postgraduate in Orthopaedics at La Statale University, Milan IT
- Postgraduate in Sports Medicine at Brescia University, Brescia IT
- Fellowship in shoulder arthroscopy at Southern California Orthopedic Institute (SCOI), Van Nuys California USA
- Faculty Member of hundreds of international courses about shoulder surgery
Scientific and Research Interests
Focused on the diagnosis and treatment of shoulder pathology including degenerative diseases (ie arthritis and tendons), trauma (ie shoulder instability, proximal humerus fractures, rotator cuff tears), systemic disease and autoimmune pathology related to shoulder problems (ie Ehler-Danlos, Diabetes).
Involved in the development of new tools in this field.
Surgery techniques range from minimal invasive (arthroscopy for rotator cuff, instability and other manageable shoulder pathologies) to joint replacement (prosthesis anatomical and reverse).
- “Mid-term results of a metal backed glenoid component in total shoulder arthroplasty” Castagna A, M. Randelli, R. Garofalo, L. Maradei, A. Giardella, M. Borroni JBJS Br, 92-B, 10, 1410-1415.
- “Conversion of shoulder arthroplasty to reverse implants: clinical and radiological results using a modular system” Castagna A, Delcogliano M, de Caro F, Ziveri G, Borroni M, Gumina S, Postacchini F, De Biase CF. Int Orthop. 2013 May 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- “Metalloproteases and their inhibitors are altered in both torn and intact rotator cuff tendons” Castagna A, Cesari E, Gigante A, Conti M, Garofalo R. Musculoskelet Surg. 2013 Jun;97 Suppl 1:39-47
- “Arthroscopic Bankart repair: Have we finally reached a gold standard?” Castagna A., Garofalo R., Conti M., Flanagin B. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016 Feb;24(2):398-405
- “Soft tissue-based surgical techniques for treatment of posterior shoulder instability.” Castagna A, Conti M, Garofalo R. Obere Extrem. 2017;12(2):82-89. doi:10.1007/s11678-017-0413-5.
Academic honors, awards and prices
- President European Shoulder and Elbow Society (SECEC/ESSSE) 2012-2014
- President Italian Shoulder and Elbow Society (SICSeG)) 2010-2012
- Member of the International Board of Shoulder and Elbow (IBSES for ICSES) 2016-2022
- Neer Award Candidate 2018, American Shoulder and Elbow Society (ASES)