- Marcacci graduated summa cum laude in Medicine and Surgery at the University of Pisa and obtained the qualification for the exercise of the medical profession in 1972.
- In 1978, he obtained the qualification for the exercise of the medical profession in the USA.
- From 1975 to 1985, he specialized in Physical Therapy, Sports Medicine, Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- He started teaching at the University of Bologna in 1986, became associate professor at the University of Bologna in 1999, full professor in 2001.
- Prof Marcacci has been Coordinator of the degree course in Orthopaedic Techniques since 2012, Director of the First Level Master in Biomechanics Diseases, Pathology and treatments of the upper limbs; Director of the School of Specialization in Orthopaedics and Traumatology (2013-2016); Temporary Scientific Director of the Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute (2015-2016).