Want more info?

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How can I apply for 2016 admission?

The admission to our Medical School will be determined via an international test that will be held in 2016 in several locations worldwide.

Visit the Apply page for more information.

Please register here to be regularly updated about the admission process and deadlines.


Do you offer 4-year or 5-year Medicine programmes?

No, we only offer a 6-year programme in Medicine, a 3-year course in Nursing (in Italian) and a 3-year course in Physiotherapy (in Italian).

Admissions Requirements


The following candidates qualify as European students and thus can apply for the EU admissions test:

  • citizens of Italy and of European Union*** member states;
  • citizens holding a Italian citizenship together with a citizenship of a country not belonging to the European Union;
  • the citizens of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, and the Republic of San Marino;
  • non-EU citizens holding a residence permit in Italy for employment or self-employment, for family reasons, political asylum, asylum for humanitarian or religious reasons;
  • non-EU citizens legally resident in Italy from at least one year in possession of qualifications obtained in Italy.
  • non-EU citizens, residing anywhere who hold diplomas from Italian schools abroad or foreign or international schools having bilateral agreements or special regulations for the recognition of qualifications and who satisfy the general conditions required to be admitted to study in Italy (the complete list of these schools can be found here).

***Students with UK passport still qualify as EU students and thus can apply for the EU medical admissions test.

Please refer to the relevant Calls for Applications for the complete list of requirements.

Go to the Apply page for EU students or visit the Apply page for non-EU students.

Education Requirements

In order to apply for the medical admissions test, candidates must satisfy one of the following requirements:

  • being enrolled in the last year of a secondary school to obtain a secondary school certificate in the current school year;
  • already being in possession of a secondary school certificate.

A Diploma is considered valid if obtained after at least 12 years of education, accompanied by the Declaration of Value issued by the Italian diplomatic authorities. The Declaration of Value will not be requested at the time of the application for the admissions test; it will be requested for the finalization of the enrollment procedure.

In the event that the local school system provides for 11 or 10 years of schooling, the title is valid when integrated with 1 or 2 years of university, having passed all the required exams for those academic years.

For the validation of foreign qualifications Humanitas University will follow Ministry guidelines (nota of March 24 2014, prot. n. 7802) available at this link.

Please refer to the relevant Calls for Applications for the complete list of requirements.

Go to the Apply page for EU students or visit the Apply page for non-EU students.


For candidates holding International Baccalaureate diplomas

Students who hold (or will get) the International Baccalaureate diploma are eligible to apply for the admissions test if the IB is obtained after 12 years of education. IBs obtained after 11 years of schooling have to be integrated with 1 year of university.

Please note that you will not need to ask for the Declaration of Value if you studied in one of these schools or in Italy.

Moreover, those who decided to attend the Italian track are considered as EU students, regardless of their citizenship, and thus must apply for the Admissions Test for EU citizens.


For candidates holding UK, US and Greek high school diplomas

UK: Students who hold (or will get) a high school diploma from UK institutions are eligible if they have achieved (or will achieve) at least 3 A-levels in relevant scientific disciplines, English, Italian or another language of the European Union. No minimum A-level grades are required.

USA: Students who hold (or will get) a high school diploma from US institutions are eligible if they respect one of the following conditions (or will respect by time of enrollment):

  • completion of at least 3 APs (Advanced Placements) in relevant scientific disciplines, English, Italian or another language of the European Union;
  • completion of two years of college education;
  • completion of one year of college education and 4 APs (as above).

Greece: Students who achieve an “Apolityrion” score higher than 10 out of 20 are eligible.

Go to the Apply page for EU students or visit the Apply page for non-EU students.


Conditional Admission

Students who will receive their diplomas after the admissions test can apply for the test, but successful enrollment is conditional to the fulfillment of the above admissions requirements.

Do you accept transfer students? Can I be admitted to the 2nd (3rd, etc…) year?

If you are enrolled in another Medical School and want to be transferred to Hunimed, you are not obliged to take the admission test (Consiglio di Stato, Adunanza Plenaria, 1/2015). Your possible transfer is subject to the availability of places for the year you want to enroll to (eg. If the italian Ministry has authorized 100 places for the second year, you won’t be able to transfer unless one of the 100 enrolled students renounces or transfers to another university).

Find here more information about how to apply for transfer.

If no place is available at the requested year, you will have to take the admissions test and then ask for the recognition of your previous activities.

In case of transfer, the number of recognized exams and their grades will be determined by a committee of teachers in charge of evaluating your application, your past activities and your past exams’ programs.

Find here more information about the validation of exam credits. 


What documents do I have to submit for a transfer request?

If you want to transfer, you should send us your CV, a Certification from your University with year of matriculation, exams taken and classes attended, detailed description of the degree programme of your current University. 

Find here more information about how to apply for transfer. 

How much are the tuition fees?

Tuition fees are income-based and vary:

  • from 10.000€ to 16.000€ for the Medicine course;
  • from 1.500€ to 3.500€ for the Nursing course;
  • from 2.500€ to 4.500€ for the Physiotherapy course.

The amount due depends on the financial indicator ISEP that is the measure of family income and assets. Please find detailed information on the Fees page.


Can I get a scholarship or a student loan?

Humanitas University is planning an agreement with a primary bank to guarantee loans at discounted rates to its students.

Information on our scholarship programme is available on the fees page.

After graduating at Humanitas University, can I work in Europe?

Yes, as a non-state University recognized by the Italian Ministry of Education (see the Decree by the Ministry of Education), our Degrees are recognized across all Europe for accessing the medical profession. In fact, Humanitas University is included in the IMED database and in the World Directory of Medical Schools.

Every country’s Medical Council establishes its specific access procedure and can request further exams to obtain the license to practice as a medical doctor or physician.


After graduating at Humanitas University, can I work in the US?

Access to medical specializations in the US (residencies) is regulated by the US Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). Humanitas University’s Degree allows you to apply for the USMLE since our University is listed in the IMED (International Medical Education Directory) database.

Humanitas University prepares its students for the USMLE and provides a curriculum in line with the educational standards requested. To do so, Hunimed has activated a collaboration with the US National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME®) with the following aims:

  • reviewing the educational program – curriculum and student assessments – to meet U.S. standards;
  • get advice on:
    • the usage of the most appropriate assessment instruments applied in North America and International medical schools,
    • how best to prepare students for these assessments.

Is HUNIMED listed in international medical school directories?

Humanitas University is included in the IMED database and in the World Directory of Medical Schools.

I know that Humanitas University is relatively new. Is it a partner of the University of Milan?

Humanitas University was established in 2014 as a private non-profit institution. Nonetheless, it is based in the Humanitas Research Hospital which has been a teaching hospital since 2000 in cooperation with the State University of Milan. This collaboration lead to the opening of the International Medical School (Mimed). Currently, students of Humanitas University Medical School (Hunimed) and students previously enrolled to Mimed share the Humanitas Hospital facilities.

Is HUNIMED solely interested in research-oriented students?

No, we want to give the best opportunities both to students interested in research and to those more interested in clinical practice. While our hospital is one of the most renowned in Italy, our Research Centre is well classified among national and international research centres.

Can I obtain the recognition of exams or educational qualifications achieved abroad at Humanitas University?

Humanitas University, as all the Italian Universities, can decide on the recognition of exams or educational qualifications achieved at foreign Universities or Schools uniquely for the purpose of granting access or prosecution of the studies.

  • If you are a university student and you want to transfer to Humanitas University, you have to apply for the admissions test for the selected course. If you pass the admissions test, a committee of teachers will evaluate your curriculum and determine the recognition of your prior exams or qualifications.
  • If you are a high school student in your last year, please check our admissions requirements.

The recognition of foreign qualifications for any purpose other from those listed above – for example, the participation to open competitive exams or for the access to regulated professions – must be requested to other government administrations.
Please find more information on the recognition process on the site of Cimea, Information Centre on Academic Mobility and Equivalence.

Do you accept visiting students?

Applications from visiting students who intend to spend a short period at Hunimed will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. If you wish more information, please write to info@hunimed.eu.